Before you buy ANYTHING go here!

Thursday, August 16, 2012

Patience is a virtue

I am back to starting trees from seeds. I am trying the Peach pit again as well as some cherries. The mistake I made with the peach last time was that I destroyed the seed while opening the pit, I sought out some advice and found that I can let it dry for a week or so then use a bench vise to open the pit without risk of damage to the seed. A little time has passed and now I have a better understanding. Now for the real test of patience...the cherries. I am starting some cherries which involves letting them refrigerate in a baggy with moist paper towel for about 10 weeks, then planting the seeds in good soil 1/2" deep, then you only have to wait 7 years for the cherries! This will definitely test the strength of my patience, but what a reward! I may in fact put some of these trees out in the wild for the critters to eat and for me to share. I could just buy some trees and I may do that but I am looking forward to the satisfying reward of eating a cherry that I grew from seed and cared for over such an extended period. I will let you know how it is going and in a few years I'll tell you how they taste.

-TODD

No comments:

Post a Comment